Monday, August 28, 2006

My Students...

In case you were wondering what goes on inside the mind of an adolescent Korean girl, I thought I would share their answers to some questions that I asked them which really give some insight as to what their priorities are (keep in mind that their level of English ranges from low intermediate to high intermediate.) I have listed their answers from most common response to least common...:

1. What do you like to do in your free time?
Sleep, playing on the computer/internet, reading comics, watching T.V., watching movies, talking, playing piano, tae kwon do, badminton...I also got one "I'm sleeping" response (this provoked a deep sense of regret inside of me for having interrupted her sleep just to answer my questionnaire, but of course she might have meant that she likes to sleep in her free time) and "talking about friends" (I hope she meant talking TO friends...)

2. Who is your favorite Korean Pop Singer? (It has not taken long for me to realize that music is VERY important to these kids...mp3 players have taken the place of accessories, as they are usually strung around the students' necks like necklaces. It came as no surprise that the answers to this question were the most diverse.)
Super Junior, Sheenwha, Epik High, SS501, Buzz, BOA, Dong Bang Sheen Gee, H.O.T., Rain, U, Tony-Ahn, Alicia Keys, Hyo Shin Park, Maybe, SG Wannabe, Jaurim, S.Papa, Tim, YB, Disciples, Lyn, Kah ee, Hwi, Sung, No Brain, Clazziquai, Trax, Eee Sue Yang, god (I don't know if this person actually meant God, but she was the only who put it so I think she might have...)

3. Where would you like to travel?
Australia, Japan, Canada, Europe, France, Paris, Italy, Rome, "Your home town" in New Mexico (I got a few of these), England, Bali, L.A., USA, Turkey, China, Niagara, Chekoslavaki, India, Egypt, Switzerland, Germany, Singapore, New Zealand...

4. What is the most important thing in your life?
Family, love, friends, happiness, study hard, money, cell phone, success, effort, health, dreams, enjoying life, communication, get a job, have a family, hope, trust
God...

One student actually wrote this list of things and I really thought she broke it down pretty well: "study, sleeping, eating, water and bathroom" This is what most Korean teenagers' lives consist of and not much more.
This student also wrote at the bottom of her page: "Teacher- Thank you. Teacher is very good. You are so beautiful. Koreans very fast. So, be careful! Oh no!"
(I am not sure what that means; actually, I'm not sure I want to know...)

No comments: