Saturday, September 02, 2006

O.K., I feel very bad for neglecting my blog in the past week. I cannot honestly claim that I was even that busy, but I have been trying to adjust to life here and relaxing, reading, etc. So, it is Friday now, and I am making my weekend plans. I am scuba diving on Sunday, my first day working towards getting my Advanced Dive certification. That means that I will do a total of 6 dives. Of those 6 dives, one dive must be a deep dive (100 feet deep) and another must be a night dive. These are what we might call "Adventure dives". Anyways, I am very excited to go back down, because it truly is an amazing feeling, and I have seen some really beautiful fish. Two weekends ago when I went I saw an octopus! That may not be that amazing, but I eat a lot of octopus here too, so that might have added to the delight of seeing one. Last weekend was nice, on Saturday, I met up with some ETAs and Eunnae, my host sister, met us and we all went to dinner. I heard one of the funnier awkward moment stories that I have heard since getting here, and I thought I should share it. My friend Alex, who teaches at an all girls high school similar to the one I teach at (advanced level students, etc.) recently got a new principal at his school. (teachers and principals rotate in Korea; the maximum a teacher or principal can stay at a school is 4 years, then they must go to a new school which is assigned by the school board.) Since we have all been taught that first impressions are highly valued in Korea, we are all painfully aware of the mistakes that we make on first meetings, but this one would be funny in any culture. On the new principal's first day, Alex rode his bike to school as he always does and brought his nice clothes to school so he could change into them after he cooled down. Since Alex has his own office away from the rest of the teachers, he just changes his clothes right there. So on this particular morning when Alex was pulling his pants off his second leg, the door opened and for his first meeting with his new principal, he was wearing no more than his underwear. Awkward to say the least, but also very funny, so we could only assure Alex that the principal was probably telling the same amusing story to a big group of teachers, and they were probably laughing as hard as we were about the encounter. Then Sunday, I went out to eat with a young teacher named Cheehee who is very friendly and sweet. She took me to a great Korean restaurant where we ate a dish that is well-known here on Jeju: A stuffed, boiled chicken in broth that is stuffed with rice. It was absolutely delicious, and as my friend Cheehee says; it is very good for you.

No comments: