Friday, August 25, 2006

Sushi and Joongang High School


Here is my co-teacher Mr.Hyun looking very stoic after a few glasses of Soju (don't worry, his wife drove us home.) Mr. Hyun treated me to a fabulous sushi dinner last night.


Here is Mrs. Hyun and I. Mrs. Hyun teaches home economics at a middle school outside of Jeju City. I am the same age as their daughter who lives in Madison, Wisconsin and seems to be the apple of their eye. Their son is Briggs' age and serving in the Korean military, which is mandatory in Korea.


Here is my desk. I spend most of my break time here, because it is right next to the air conditioner and my classroom and the hallways do not have air conditioning. It has been very very hot...


Here is a typical class that I teach. All the girls are pretty timid, but at the same time very tickled and excited to hear me answer the same 40 questions over and over again during my introduction lesson. (I mean literally they ask the same 40 questions that are laminated and I bring to every class.) It was the only way to get them to participate.


Here is my host sister at her desk. She is one of my students; her English is very good.


Here is my high School. Joongang Girls High School with about 1200 students; I teach 750 of them every week.

No comments: