Saturday, August 19, 2006

I've moved into my Homestay!

Well, I made it to my homestay in one piece, and feel very lucky to have an extremely welcoming family! My family met my plane at the airport on Thursday and since then they have shown me a great time! I live with a 16 yr. old girl named Eunnae and her 12 yr. old sister named Soojawn. Eunnae speaks incredible English, so she has been my "hearing ear dog" or so it feels like at times. She takes me around and translates most things for me; she seems to really enjoy speaking English too, so it works out great! We have already been to many parts of the city, swimming at the blacksand beach, watched a whole season of Friends on DVD (she owns the entire box set), out to incredible sushi, and today we are going to a swimming pool on the bus. This morning I woke up at 6am to go play badminton with my host mother and Eunnae. Three hours later we emerged from the gym, drenched in sweat and went to breakfast with the whole crew of early risers. My host mother does this every morning, including weekends, only usually it's at 5am, but on Sundays they sleep in til 6am; hmmm...reminds me a little of my own mother. I was very impressed with my host mother's badminton skills; she's really quite amazing and certainly didn't seem even tired after 3 hours of playing! My school starts tomorrow, but I won't be teaching until the following monday. I learned that I will be teaching 21 classroom hours per week, which is a little more than expected, but will be fun. I will have the first grade and second grade High School girls (high schools go grade 1-3, 3rd graders are seniors.) I teach English Conversation, so it's going to be fun, I hope. I don't have to worry about teaching formal grammar or anything, just getting the girls to speak and listen to English is my main goal, which might prove harder than it sounds from what I've heard. I am so excited to explore more of this island; it's beautiful! I promise to put up more pictures soon!

No comments: