Monday, August 28, 2006

Photos of my weekend....


This is part of the dinner party I partook in. The men sat at one end, drinking all the soju (including Mr. Hyun) while the women were at the other end chatting... I wish I could tell you what they were chatting about, but noone spoke English except Mr. Hyun (who abandoned me for the soju end of the table) and Mr. Hyun's wife, who kindly sat next to me and tried to single-handedly entertain me (what Mrs.Hyun didn't realize is the dinner itself provided great people watching.)


Here Mr. Hyun gives a demonstration of how this wooden backpack works... men would use it to carry large bundles of grain.


This is a tranditional thatch-roofed house that existed on Jeju not that long ago. My co-teacher, Mr. Hyun gre up in one and he's about 59 years old. As late as the 1970's Jeju Island was considered a hardship destination in the Peace Corps.


There is really nothing better than getting to see your American buddies after a long first week in such an alien environment. The bizarre stories continued to flow...


We had a Korean-style picnic, with beer and rice crackers. I met up with this Fulbright gang after a long day of scuba diving.

No comments: