Sunday, August 13, 2006

Graduation Day!















Well, we're all excited because we've graduated with very good grades (for the most part) from the rigorous Korean Language course that Korea University has put us through over the past 5 weeks. On Thursday we gave speeches to our homeroom classes (about 12 students in each.) The speeches were about a trip that we have taken in the past and were meant to incorporate a lot of the vocabulary we've been learning. I wrote about Panama and a rough translation is as follows:

"My name is Jenn. I like traveling, so last year I went to Panama. I went by airplane. I was in Panama from October to November. I went alone, but met many people there. Panamanian food is delicious, therefore I ate often. I like swimming, therefore I took a bathing suit. I didn't go shopping, but I took lots of pictures. When I came home my mother was very happy."

The word that comes to mind when I read my speech is: "semi-informative," actually maybe "primitive" is a better word. As you might have guessed, the length and difficulty of the speech's composition was completely dependant on the fact that I had to memorize it, therefore it had to fall within the limits of my language capabilities (those who strayed from those limits by using their Korean/English dictionaries wished they hadn't when it came time to memorize.) Friday we had our closing ceremony which included some speeches, creative dances to Korean Pop music, a traditional folk song (someone played the violin and it was beautiful) and a slideshow. We were very happy to receive praise on our grades, as most of us had studied very hard for our final exam (which was Wednesday and is part of the reason I haven't been writing much on this blog.) Tomorrow is the big talent show which I have helped to organize and will be showing off my Tae Kwon Do skills. I am part of a group of about 6 that will be performing the first poomse and doing some sparring. I will let you know how that goes and hopefully have some pictures to put up tomorrow.

No comments: