Sunday, June 17, 2007

Photos from Tae Kwon Do Black Belt Test

Before the testing started, everyone was in groups warming up...

Here I am with my three coaches, (the woman in the white shirt with her back to the camera is talking to me and the two boys standing to my left in the pink shirt and the red shirt are the two high school boys who also coach me.) They are giving me last minute pointers in Korean...

Before starting they lined us all up to bow to the judges...

There are three tables of judges in the front of the room. We tested in groups of 8, and the guy at the far left standing up is the one who tells us what poomsaes to do and gives us directions on when to bow, when to get ready, when to start, etc, but of course, it's all in Korean.



Here I am in the back right doing one of the poomsaes (#5)...


Me on the far right doing poomsae #8...

poomsae # 5...

Here I am on the far right at the beginning of poomsae # 8...

I'm on the right in the red helmet... I'm about to find out why they make us wear the helmets...

The black belts went after us. Today I was testing for my 1st degree black belt, but there are different degrees. These kids were testing for their 3rd degrees I think, and they were really good. They're sparring in this picture.

One of my students was there, testing for her 3rd degree black belt. She was the only girl in her group. She's the one kicking in this picture...


Here I am with my host mom and friend, Janaki, after the test; I was SO relieved to have it over with... and in this picture I have my black belt!

No comments: