Friday, June 29, 2007

The Last Week of School




This week I started off like a horse out of a chute; I knew that it would be hectic, and I would have little time to rest. I was right; it was a really tough week. I'm not sure what was tougher, transitioning into Korea or transitioning out. I told my students that we would have a farewell party to say goodbye in class this week. I know it sounds self-centered, but it really wasn't meant to be; I just wanted to give them some closure, rather than just announcing my last day that I won't be returning. I told them we would have a farewell party as if it were good news! Actually, I presented the idea to them two weeks ago in the following fashion:

"I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that we have a speaking test next week in class.... (pause for gasps and shocked looks that spread unevenly among the faces in the classroom.) But, the GOOD news is that the following week we will have a farewell party for me in class!"

The response to my "good news" was touching; in fact only a few people cheered, and that was only due to the fact that they weren't paying attention in my "parties lesson" and only understood the word party, not "farewell." (At least that's what I've been telling myself.) Anyways, they weren't happy, and I must say that I was touched. I thought that the idea of eating food in class, watching music videos, chatting and taking pictures would keep them from feeling down, but they were solemn then and they've remained that way this entire week. I've had groups of girls coming to me on during their breaks from class and crying because I'm leaving. The speaking tests went well; I was able to chat with each student individually, asking them questions like: "What is your future dream?" or "Describe your family." or (the hardest question in the group) "Tell me how to get from this high school to City Hall." (City Hall is sort of like a downtown area; very popular among young people.) My favorite answer to the latter question went something like this:

"Call 011 4545 1555 and ask for a taxi; when it arrives at this school, ask it to take you to City Hall."

I give her credit for being innovative... Anyways, back to the speaking tests; they ended last week... so the "Farewell/Potluck" parties began this week.

At the party I give out prizes for the stickers that the students have been accumulating for participation in class since the beginning of the semester. Most of the prizes were small things that my parents sent me from America. (See image below.)


I told the students they could bring food for a potluck party. Most students just bought snacks from the snack bar, but my last day of school one class brought a full picnic. They had rice, kimchi, watermelon, other main courses like dok boki, and juice! I couldn't believe it; they must've been up all night preparing, and it was so cute!

At this "party" we were breaking more than one school rule (if you remember I have a very strict principal.) First of all, eating is not allowed outside of the cafeteria, and definitely not in the classroom while class is being conducted. Secondly, the air conditioner (newly installed) is not supposed to be on until after lunch, but there was a heat wave this week and I couldn't bear it, so I turned it on full blast. Third, I don't think you're supposed to watch American music videos in class, although I've never heard it specifically stated. I listed these rules so that you understand how horrible it was to have the principal (a man who scares the teacher and the students, because he is so severe) open my door and look into my classroom in the midst of one of my "parties." I have a full screen that comes down which measure about 6 ft. X 7 ft. and when the principal opened the door and peeked into my classroom, the music video entitled "Sexy back" by Justin Timberlake was playing on this gigantic screen, the lights were off, the air conditioning was blasting at 9am, and my students were chowing down on junk food. I can't imagine how this looked to him. Luckily, I didn't have to see the expression on his face, because I flattened myself against the wall (on the same side of the classroom where he peered in) and did not have to see him. My students just whispered "Jennipa, principal!" and pointed towards the back door. He probably stood there for 30 seconds, and then closed the door without saying a word (very unlike him.) I guess he's decided to let me teach my way, no matter how unorthodox. A few minutes later the maintenance man entered, unplugged the air conditioner and tucked the cord behind it. I guess the principal also went and asked my co-teacher why the students were eating in class. My principal's reaction surprised me; perhaps, American music videos ARE allowed during class time...


The students have given me the nicest gifts this week. Tons of notes, candy, traditional Korean gifts, cakes, and homeade movies. I left school today at 4 o'clock and went up to walk the halls while they cleaned their classrooms. It was so sad, because it seemed so final. Maybe I will miss my students most of all.

No comments: