Sunday, June 17, 2007

Photos from Friday's Tae Kwon Do Class

Once every 2 weeks or so we dedicate half a class to stretching with a partner. It is good for improving overall flexibility, but it's also a little comical, because the boys like to push each other really hard while their partner squeals in pain. The little boy in blue who is walking on his hands is ever-present at our practices, even though he's not in our class; he's always playing, crying, , eating ice cream, etc. while we practice.

These two little boys are two of the youngest and cutest in my class. The one who is sitting on the floor reminds me of Briggs (my little brother) when he was little. He has the cutest smile and SO much energy. The chubbier one who is stretching him lives near my house and I often walk to the TKD gym with him and his sister. Everytime I see him, he's wearing his TKD uniform, even when there's no class.
My partner could fold in half like a card table; I'm not sure what my job was here, as he didn't seem to need any help with the stretches.

I definitely felt it when the kid practically jumped on my back, forcing my head and torso against my knees.

We also practiced falling, one of my least favorite things to do. We do a front fall and a backwards fall. Basicall you lean forward and hunch down and then throw yourself backwards, landing on the floor. Before you fall, you fling your arms out and lift your head; your legs go straight up in the air. It's really unpleasant to say the least; you just keep getting up and doing it again.

One of the favorite games, which we often play in the last 5 minutes of class, is the "hop on one foot and knock as many people as you can down game." Everyone hops on one leg and trys to knock the other teammates to the ground by bumping into them and hitting them with their raised leg. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt (which ALWAYS happens).
Here one of my TKD coaches is consoling a small girl who is crying, because she was knocked down and hurt her ankle. I am sitting to to the right of them, watching, as is the little boy in blue on the climbing wall.

2 comments:

earthsea said...

Hello Jenn, I'm Sarah and I just found your blog. I arrived in Jejusi two weeks ago and am teahing in a girls middle school. I've been learning tai chi for a while but would love to learn some tae kwon do while I'm here. Did you learn through or school or outside of it? Do know anywhere that would be happy to teach a foreign beginner who can't speak Korean yet?...... Well done for getting a black belt! my email is shakshuka@inorbit.com

elizabeth gunn said...

Hi Jenn and Sarah; Well done earning your black belt. I am a (female)4th degree from canada and also received my Master's teaching license from the Kukkiwon a couple of years ago. Keep looking for a Taekwondo club--you don't need to speak a word of Korean to get started ,easy to follow the instructions.Have fun on lovely Jeju island Elizabeth