Monday, June 25, 2007

My Last Sunday on Jeju Island

This past weekend was full of social engagements. Friday night I attended a birthday party for another Fulbrighter, Julienne, at her homestay. It was very similar to the birthday party I had at my homestay in November: Dok Boki (Thick rice noodles, fish cake, and hard-boiled egg in a spicy red sauce, popular among younger generation Koreans), cake, Kim bap (sushi rolls with ham and egg instead of the fish), and Korean birthday presents (like socks, notebooks, earings, etc.) It was a really fun party, and afterwards I went with three of my fellow Fulbrighters to a nightclub, which was nice, because I hadn't been to a nightclub on Jeju Island yet. Saturday I went over to Jeehee's house and had lunch with her and her family. Her mother is an amazing cook; she makes her rice with barley and other grains, cooks all organic and uses the freshest ingredients. Afterwards, I went and met a few friends for a movie and dinner. Sunday morning I cooked breakfast for my homestay family: chocolate chip and banana pancakes! They went over pretty well to say the least; I think my homestay sisters think that America is "the land where everyone eats their dessert for breakfast." Afterwards, Jeehee and her sidekick (nephew) Eembaum picked me up to go to lunch. We had an amazing tofu soup lunch (homeade tofu) and headed to the beach. It was a cloudy weekend, but the sun came out for a few hours on Sunday and Eembaum and I decided to take a swim in our clothes. That evening I went to a co-teacher's house to have a final dinner with her and her family. I'm finding that everything is a "final" somthing or other these days, which makes me sad, but also excited for what next year will hold.


Jeehee and Eembaum, quite a pair...


At first Eembaum and I were just going to build a sandcastle, but then we got a better idea...


Eembaum is a tough little guy; he did not let up with the splashing, but it was really fun!


In the end we just went for it and swam; it was really a good time! Afterwards, Jeehee was trying to take Eembaum's clothes off of him, and he refused to take even his shirt off, because he didn't want to be naked in front of me; Eembaum is 7 years old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading for some time and I'd like to thank you for sharing your experiences and insights. I have truly enjoyed the pictures you have posted as it's given me a window outside my world to look forward to experiencing. :)