Friday, May 25, 2007

Night at the Buddha's Temple

Thursday was Buddha's Birthday, which is a big holiday in Korea. There was no school, and many people go to the temple to pray. The idea is that the Buddha is likely to grant your wish, because it's his birthday (I guess that means he's in a good mood.) Jeehee told me to make 3 wishes, so I did, but I can't tell you what they were or they may not come true. Instead of going to the temple on Thursday we went on the eve of Buddha's birthday to see the lanterns. The temple was pretty deserted, which was really nice. We walked around for a couple of hours, Jeehee, me and her nephew, Een Baum. Een Baum is 6 years old and really cute. He ran around with us, practicing his English (which is really good) and showing off his Tae Kwon Do (he knows more than I do.) The temple that we visited is one of the prettiest temples that I've been to in Korea. It is at the base of Halla Mountain and has various small temples built at the base and on the side of the mountain (you walk up a long flight of stairs to reach them). Also, there is a huge stone buddha that sits outside with a bunch of small buddha statues surrounding it, very beautiful.





It was hard to catch Een Baum for a picture; he seemed adamantly opposed to being in one.



I was still wearing my Tae Kwon Do uniform, as I had a test earlier that night.



My good friend, Jeehee...



No comments: