Saturday, May 12, 2007

More Photos from Sports Day!

Here I am with my notoriously strict principal. He makes me very nervous, because he has a tendency to yell and be very displeased with the teacher and students most of the time; however, I heard from many Korean teachers that he was very pleased to see me spending the day talking with students and participating. The face he is wearing in this picture is about as close to a smile as I've ever seen on him.

Here my principal is handing out the awards (toilet paper) to the winning teams in each category.


The students sat on the lawn with their respective teams and piled their awards (packages of toilet paper) in front of them, a tangible measure of their success.


Toilet paper waiting to be handed out... I just couldn't get over how normal this was. For me it was like watching someone walk naked down the street in broad daylight with shoes, a purse, makeup and a watch on. As if it were the most normal thing in the world... I mean it's toilet paper! My students spent their whole day cheering and competing for toilet paper!?!



Here I am with two of my students who are also student council members. They were in charge of organizing the entire day! The teachers were in charge of very little; most of the behind the scenes organizational stuff was all coordinated by students.




Tug-of-war was really fun to watch. Even if it does only last about 45 seconds; it's a thrilling 45 seconds!





No comments: