Saturday, October 07, 2006

Photos from the climb

Here I am on my way down the mountain; let me briefly explain my outfit: the hat was a gift from my host father for Chuesok and he insisted I wear it (Koreans are deathly afraid of being tan; they think it's really un-becoming) and the orange towel was on loan from my host family so that I could wipe my face while I hiked; I must say, it came in handy!


Me, my host cousin and host father at the top of the mountain. The sign says Halla mountain east peak; my father is wearing the New Mexico t-shirt that I gave him when I got here, and I am wearing his jacket which he insisted I wear so I wouldn't be cold!


"Peace! Peace!" or "Kimchi! Kimchi!" I still don't know what making this symbol with the hands really means, but EVERYONE does it from grandmas to children, and I recently realized that the cool way is to make the symbol with BOTH hands...that's what the girls at my school do.


It was a crowded day on the mountain; sort of the same as shopping malls in the U.S.A. the day after Thanksgiving, only Koreans go hiking instead of shopping because it's "good for your health!"


At the top of the mountain was a crater that used to be filled with water. Jeju island has over 360 small mountains (Halla is the only one that is not small) and each one has a small crater at the top. Halla mountain is 1900 meters, so basically 6,000 ft high.


My host dad and I taking a short rest; I found out today that he will run a half marathon next weekend. My host mother and father are both really into fitness and in great shape!

No comments: