Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Chuseok Preparations

Today we prepared for Chuseok, which is like the Korean Thanksgiving. Tomorrow family will come over and share this meal with us, and we will go to a few relatives' homes who live on other parts of the island. Above you can see my host sister Eunnae grilling pork (we also grilled skewers of beef and fish) My host mother and younger sister, Sujeon are frying pieces of tofu.


My first job consisted of stuffing sesame leaves and eggplant with a soft ground meat substance that had onions and garlic in it.


Here is a close-up action shot of me stuffing eggplant with ground meat...I'm still not sure what kind of meat it was, probably SPAM or some sort of pork.


This is the finished product after my labor-intensive work; the next step was dipping them in egg and frying them in the fryer.


Eunnae with her meat; we did all of this cooking in the living room of our home.


This is one of the desserts that will be served. These are fryed dok patties. "Dok" is made from white rice and flour. After the patties were formed (that was also my job) my sister Sujeon stuck a raisin in the middle of each one and we fryed them. At the end we dipped each one in white sugar; they are very good.

No comments: