Sunday, March 18, 2007

Winter Climb: Halla Mountain for the second time...

I have been meaning to post these pictures for the past week, but I've had a cold and just didn't get around to it. Anyways, last Wednesday I didn't have school, so I decided to climb Halla San (Mountain) for a second time.) It looked very different, because there was snow at the top and the lake that is inside of the glacier was frozen over. I decided that I'm going to climb it again in spring and summer as well, in order to see it in all 4 seasons! Here are some pictures from the hike:

Here I am at the top! I met the nicest Koreans on this hike! The whole time they were giving me fruit and other snacks to be nice. I think they were surprised to see a woman hiking alone, but at this point I don't think they're too shocked when they see foreigners doing things.


This is what the lake at the top of the mountain looks like! Halla San is a volcano, so the crater at the top is from the erruption years ago...


This is a picture of the types of picnics that Koreans have at the top of the mountain. I am always amazed how everyone tends to pack the exact same snacks: peeled cucumbers (to prevent dehydration), rice cakes, kim bap (like a sushi roll, but with egg and ham instead of fish), hot water for tea, fruit, and sometimes soju (alcohol) or makali (traditional rice wine).



I took this picture before I reached the top; it's the last leg of the hike.



No comments: