Thursday, November 09, 2006

Happy 빼빼로(Pepero) Day!!!
















Well, tomorrow is November 11th, which means it's 11/11. Some of you might ask...is it Jenn's birthday? Is there something that I'm forgeting? Don't worry, you have probably never heard of the holiday, but tomorrow is 빼빼로 Day (in English Pepero Day!) This is a national holiday among Koreans, and it's very interesting because Pepero is the brand name of a type of candy. It would be like having a national Snickers Day in the United States, where everyone gives each other little Snickers bars to celebrate. The candy is a long thin cookie, about the size of a pencil, that is dipped in chocolate. I have yet to try one of these treats, but the reason November 11th is the holiday, is due to the resemblance of 11.11 to the actual candy. Unfortunately tomorrow is a Saturday so I will not be at school, and therefore unable to see how many students would have given me Pepero! I'm tempted to come to school anyways, even though I don't have any classes to see if I get any! Giving someone Pepero means that you really really like or even love them. What an ingenius ploy; to name a holiday after your product... it certainly guarantees a certain number of sales every year, even if people don't eat them for the other 365 days (which might be the case, as I do not see that many Koreans eating Pepero on a regular basis.) Happy Pepero Day!



No comments: